Saturday, April 04, 2009

Brewing your coffee at home.

Buyer beware!
I have been reading that single cup brewers sale are up 100's% due to the fact that coffee is so expensive to purchase at your local Starbucks or coffeehouse. My question to all of you is....Is it really? I say NO! I have been selling coffee for over 15 years and I've always tried to sell coffee to end-users....Restaurants, coffeehouses...etc. By the serving, when customers always want the coffee they are looking at priced out by the pound. I say always price your coffee by the serving. If you purchase an average cup on the go you'll pay, depending on size, $1.00-$2.00 MAX. If a $2.00 cup is 24oz. that's $.08 per oz. To really get technical that would equate to about $5.12 per pot. If this is a cup you like I would recommend between 3 & 4 oz of fresh ground coffee be used for a great flavor profile. What does that equate to per pound? $27.30 WOW I can tell you now that person selling you that coffee paid no more than $6.00-$8.00 per pound...What a profit margin. 337%
When brewing at home in a single cup brewer, you know the ones that use little single serve cups or pods. The cost per pound works out to at least that much. Not only that, but because of the fact the brewer you bought only works with the pods, or cups that are made for it, your stuck, until you purchase another way to brew. Listed on the manufacturers web site these portions sell for $13.95 for a pack of 24. That's $.58 per 6-8oz cup. Lets break that down just like we did earlier....$.07-$.08 per ounce. (look familiar?) Price per pound of fresh ground product @ .5oz per brew $18.58lb @.25oz per brew $37.12lb. I don't know about you, but I can buy coffee in any store for $5-$10lb, depending on quality and roaster, and brew it at home with the taste I enjoy for about $1.88 per pot /$.62 per 20oz / $.20 per 6-8oz cup.
If your trying to save money in these difficult times check back into this blog for ways to change your enjoyment of brewing and saving at home.

No comments: